4 Reasons Why HIV and STD Tests Are Important
In a world such as today’s, everyone is aware of various body ailments and the symptoms. Because of this, they make sure they keep themselves fit and healthy, to avoid any such issues. However, there is very little awareness of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) such as:
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) or Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS),
- …among others.
Importance of STD Testing
STD testing is predominantly available in many private clinics and private GPs around the globe. STD testing is also available at specific STD clinics. These are clinics where specialised tests and private ultrasound scans are conducted in order to determine the positive or negative status of an STD. One can not know if they are infected or not for sure unless an actual test is carried out and the results declared. Here are four reasons why STD testing is important:
- Prevention: As it is very well known, prevention is better than cure! When more people are tested, the practice becomes more commonplace. There is widespread acknowledgement of preventive measures for people to take to avoid getting an STD. Preventive measures primarily include having protected intercourse (using condoms or other barrier methods) or not reusing needles for injections.
- Differential Diagnosis: Symptoms of HIV or most common STDs are similar to various other physical issues, such as a common cold or gastrointestinal issues. Increase in testing will help in the proper diagnosis of STDs at an early stage. For instance, a lot of people with HIV have difficulty in their respiratory system. They thus meet with an ENT doctor, which is futile. Being aware would make sure they don’t go to an ENT clinic, but actually, get tested for an STD.
- Treatment: STDs are known to be notorious for their multiple painful symptoms. Because there is no definitive cure for some STDs like HIV yet, this becomes all the more harmful, or even fatal. Testing for STDs will help in the early diagnosis of the disease. This will ensure more effective treatment.
- Curb spreading: Finally and probably most importantly, STD testing is very vital in the process of containing the disease. Most people with STDs are unaware that they have the disease(s). Because of this, they may not take the necessary preventive measure required to protect others from getting the disease as well.
Spread awareness among your friends and family, encourage them to get tested if needed. The mere word of mouth goes a really long way in the process!